Interior Design City & City 2 Award
Length of course: 15 weeks
Is this the right course for me?
This course is suitable for learners who have completed a City & Guilds Level 1 course in the past.
What will I learn?
• How to use the principles of colour, line and texture, shape & form to inform the design of a home office scheme
• To investigate the work of other contemporary interior designers and document current trends
• To plan and manage the creation of mood boards, scale plans and elevations for a home office
• To estimate projected costs and then track actual time spent and expenditure
• To present your work in an appropriate professional manner
• To evaluate your room scheme by commenting on how well it met the client brief and setting out what improvements you could make
You will be encouraged to research furniture, fixtures and accessories to complement your designs.
How will I learn?
Your tutor will present new information and ideas, using visual aids and handouts. There will be group discussion, practical exercises, and presentation of your own work. You will be expected to do some work on your own at home every week and to collect notes and examples of practical work in a folder or portfolio.
Will I gain a qualification?
Yes. If you successfully complete the design and practical work and present it in a folder or portfolio, your tutor will recommend that you be awarded a City & Guilds Level 2 Award in Interior Design.
What can I do next?
You may decide to progress to a higher level course offered by Milton Keynes College.
What do I need to bring to the classes?
For the first session, please bring with you a ring-binder, paper and pen or pencil. Your tutor will then provide you with a list of further materials and equipment, which you will need to complete the course. You can expect to spend between £40 (absolute essentials) to £100 (discretionary ‘extras’) over the course, though every effort will be made to keep costs to a minimum e.g. by sharing some materials.
Can I talk to someone about my course before I start it?
It is usually possible to put you directly in touch with the tutor if a member of the ACE staff cannot answer your query.